Here are 5 things I am doing right now that are really making a difference in my day-to-day life. Even when we are busy, and especially when we feel "stress" it is so important to find ways to nurture and support ourselves for our highest possible good. I am sharing these with you in hopes they will inspire and enrich your days too!
1. Fit in a workout at home -no seriously! I must admit, I am a busy girl and getting to yoga or exercise class just doesn't happen often. And it can be expensive to do regularly. That is why I enjoy working out at home, I just need the right inspiration to stay motivated. I have a stack of trusty workout and yoga DVD's I like, but frankly they were getting a bit...old. Enter Grokker.com a fantastic new FREE website that has hundreds of well organized and professional videos to choose from. Yoga, cardio, pilates, barre, weight training, meditation, healthy cooking...it is all here, with tons of great instructors and a community of online support. I also love that there are varied time lengths. Only have 15 minutes? No problem...there are tons of "short but sweet" workouts. Did I mention it is totally Free? I am not sure how long they will be able to sustain this "free model" at this level of AWESOMENESS...but while it is- just create an account and you are good to go. We all know getting a variety of exercise on a consistent basis helps us reduce stress, look and feel our best, and glow from the inside out. Check out Grokker for LOTS of great motivation! If you want, you can follow me on Grokker (Harmony Scott) to see the videos I have liked and watched:)
2. Join a CSA, or Community Supported Agriculture. Get a fresh box of veggies (hopefully organic, that may also include eggs, cheese, milk, meat, honey, jam, etc.) direct from local farmers. Late summer is a perfect time, since it is now the height of the veggie and fruit season! Many communities now have farm-to-you options. It is a great way to eat a variety of healthy, local produce that is economical AND supports local agriculture, which is a win-win by any measure. At this point, we all know eating fresh and local is good for healthy families AND communities- so what are you waiting for? Try the website LocalHarvest.org to find a CSA near you, or ask at your local farmers market or health food store. This summer I am discovering delicious ways to eat a greater variety of things when I get my weekly box, it is inspiring, fun, and convenient! If it is too much food, you can always split it with someone. My CSA even delivers to my door and offers simple recipes for the more "unusual" items in my box- I never knew sliced, slightly spicy kohlrabi was such a delicious, crunchy snack with dip or guacamole- a great alternative to chips. Seriously, good riddance to those plastic boxes of wilted veggies from the supermarket that traveled 2000 miles to reach my plate. Local, fresh CSA all the way!
3. Discover your Core Desired Feelings. This simple exercise has changed my outlook on life, goals, and how I feel on a day-to-day basis. If your are not familiar with Danielle Laporte, do yourself a favor and click over to her website daniellelaporte.com. Her best selling book "The Desire Map" shows you how to approach life and work from a heart-centered place. Essentially, Danielle's book helps us get in touch with our deep "desires" that can guide our lives into becoming richer and more fulfilling. Simply from shifting our focus from outside goals and accomplishments, to discovering "how do I most want to feel"... this is a beautiful way to live life from the “inside out.” I have found I am more relaxed around my goals, and they seem to flow more easily now that I am aligned with my Core Desires. What are some of mine? Connected * Radiant * Divine Feminine * Flowing
4. Get into Nature. So simple, but such a key piece to being happy, healthy, and balanced. We KNOW this, but even I forget…and I am a true Nature Lover! When we are not connected to the Earth, we are ungrounded, and can easily become depressed and lethargic. We also cut ourselves off from creative inspiration, and allowing insight and intuition some "space" to come and guide us with those pesky challenges of life. Great thinkers like Einstein and spiritual leaders like Thich Nhat Hanh have all advocated time in nature as a way to reconnect to our Source. Even if you live in the city, it is as simple as taking a walk outside. Laying on the grass somewhere and breathing deeply. Making sure you have a beautiful bouquet or a luxurious plant in your home. Taking a few minutes to sit quietly by a river, lake, or ocean…to gaze out to the horizon and let your mind rest. Swim, hike, camp, walk, sit…whatever you can do to immerse yourself and get back to your roots! You can also explore the synergistic power of Nature and our focused intentions for true healing...A favorite book of mine is called “To be Healed by the Earth” by Warren Grossman PH.D. I used his Earth meditation technique just yesterday to soothe a bad headache…and it really works!
5. Make your very own Daily Personal Practice List. What is a “personal practice” you may ask? It is those simple things we
can do everyday that support, nourish, replenish, grow, balance, and feed us as physical, emotional, and spiritual beings. Basically, we all KNOW what we need to be happy and healthy. If you aren't sure, start with the Core Desired Feeling exercises (see #3) to get in touch with what feelings really nourish you, and then locate the activities and practices that make you feel that way. What I have found to be really helpful is to make a list of my Personal Practices, and I put it on the fridge. This is more than “eat right” and “exercise”…these are SPECIFIC things. For example, on my list I start with “lemon H2O” reminding myself to do my liver cleanse of water and lemon juice 1st thing in the morning, and also includes “Prayer and Gratitude” as well as specific activities like "Dance 3 Songs" and many of my meditation practices that I know keep me happy. Then, each day I choose as many as I can and put a heart next to the ones I have accomplished. I update it monthly to stay fresh. This way I am reminded to DO them, and Inspired with ideas of how to keep myself aligned with what I know is for my highest good. Honestly, the list on the fridge has REALLY helped me…remember those gold stars from school? Also, it is pretty easy to see which ones are getting neglected and which ones we do more often after a few weeks of tracking. Well, do it for yourself and enjoy the benefits of being happier, healthier, and more aligned with those things that will nourish and support you from the inside out.
I hope some of these ideas resonate with you! Please feel free to add comments, or share what you are going to do to make your life better! It is so important for us to support and encourage each other with ideas and inspiration. Thank you so much for reading this... Blessings, Harmony